A blog account of The Building Exploratory's Janet Clark's trip to Tokyo with the Architecture Centre Network

Sunday 13 February 2011

I'm in Tokyo!


Wow the journey took for ever (a special thanks to the man sitting next to me for 9 & half hours to Beijing, with his protruding elbows, wandering pillow and constant sniffing...), but I'm here at last.  I must mention Beijing Airport, which was chaotic last time I was there in 1999, but is now a large, gleaming, and very efficient Norman Foster building.

It's been dark since I arrived in Tokyo, but first impressions....Exciting!  Neon!  Shopping! (I'm allowed to say that cos it's still Sunday)  Loads of cool young people wandering about (hmm, very similar to Kingsland Road)!  And guess what the view is from my hotel window???  Tokyo's Metropolitan Government building (see picture) by Kenzo Tange... how fantastic - can't wait to see it in daylight!

So, having thrown my bags in my room, I went out with Cara and Amy to find vegetarian food.  Not easy in Tokyo, especially at 9pm on a Sunday evening, and when we can't even speak because of  jet-lag.  Eventually we stumbled upon some tofu and cucumber sushi - perfect!  Tomorrow is when the real excitement starts.  We're off to visit a primary school in the morning, can't wait!  (Please excuse the excessive exclamation marks...!)

2 comments:

  1. Yey - glad you made it okay! Looking forward to reading more over the next week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, sounds absolutely fantastic. Wish we were there. It's 8C here and the sun is shining, but unfortunately still Hackney last time I looked out the window. Have fun. Nicole x

    ReplyDelete