A blog account of The Building Exploratory's Janet Clark's trip to Tokyo with the Architecture Centre Network

Friday 18 February 2011

Reflecting

Tokyo from the air
As I sit on the plane from Tokyo to Beijing, where I'm really looking to spending a few days with my little brother, I have had the chance to reflect on my fantastic week in Japan.  What an experience!  I have learned so much, and now have a real desire to find out more. Highlights of the trip have
been:

  • our visit to the primary school
  • meeting the Japanese CABE study group and enjoying a truly special meal with them
  • having so many opportunities to talk to and learn from Japanese people working in the same field as us
  • the multi-sensory experience that is Tokyo
  • hearing Urban Renaissance Agency's embedded approach to community participation and engagement around social housing development
  • getting to know, and sharing my experience with Cara, Amy, Mark and
    Bridget

The similarities between the built environment issues facing both Japan and England have really struck me, as have the commonalities in approach to built environment learning.  There have been lots of fascinating discussions and many, many laughs.

And I finally got to see Mount Fuji...from the plane!
I would like to thank Sasakawa Foundation for funding the trip, Cara Courage for organising it, Dr Aya Sakai for hosting and my TBE colleagues for helping me get away!

Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to see you all soon!  Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment